Stress is a reality for everyone, and when you’re going through a season of life that is particularly difficult, it is so comforting to have these simple techniques to support your well-being.
One (of the many) wonderful things about essential oils, is that they are made up of such tiny molecules – and therefore are so easily and quickly absorbed into the body. They can penetrate through cell membranes and travel throughout the body, even through the blood-brain barrier. The lipid- soluble structure of essential oils is very similar to the makeup of our own cellular membranes. When applied topically, essential oils can travel throughout the body in a matter of minutes.
When we inhale through the nose, airborne molecules interact with the olfactory organs and, almost immediately, the brain. A variety of receptor sites are reached, one of which is the limbic system. The limbic system is the primary centre for our emotional life. Molecules inhaled through the nose or mouth are also carried to the lungs, and interact with the respiratory system. Thus, inhaled essential oils can affect the body through several systems and pathways.
Many essential oils, such as lavender and peppermint, act as both a nervine and calmative on the nervous system. This means they are so helpful in combating long term, chronic stress.
Top 10 Ways to Use Essential Oils For Stress:
- Valor: Apply a few drops in the palm of your left hand, gently rub your palms together, and bring your oiled palms to your nose and inhale. Set your intention for the day, utilizing the grounding properties of this blend. Next, put some Valor on the back of your neck and then place another drop on the inside of your wrists and hold your wrist together for a moment. As you hold the pulse points of your wrists together, again breathe in the oil blend and take a moment to be still while affirming your intentions for the day. What state of being would you like to cultivate? What do you want to accomplish today?
- Diffuse 4 drops each, Lavender and Stress Away. Apply to your wrists and inhale deeply.
- Place a drop of Harmony on your left palm & rub your palms together, inhaling the oil blend. Apply to your solar plexus, just below your sternum, and above your belly button. This is your third chakra, or your “will” energy center. As you inhale the aroma, use the affirmation, “Let my will harmonize and align to the greater good for all I connect with today.”
- Add 2 drops lavender + 2 drops peppermint into the palms of your hands, and gently massage into your shoulders/ neck. Inhale deeply.
- Diffuse 5 drops each: lavender, peppermint and rosemary.
- Add 1 drop lemon + 1 drop grapefruit to a large glass, fill with of water and drink throughout the day.
- Place a drop of Joy into your left palm, rub your hands together, and slowly inhale the scent. Then place your hands on your heart. If you are looking to become more open hearted, use these moments to let this blend infuse into your heart’s desire.
- Add 10 drops of lavender + 5 drops stress away to 2 cups of Epsom salts (or try making these simple DIY lavender bath bombs). Let dissolve in a warm bath and soak for 30 minutes.
- Diffuse 5 drops peace and calming essential oil blend when you get home at the end of the day. Put your feet up and relax!
- Lay on your stomach in a comfortable place, and have your partner or loved one drop 5 drops each of lavender, peppermint, and rosemary down your spine. Let the oils soak in and work their magic. If you’ve never heard of this, read about the Raindrop Technique here!
Pure Essential Oils
Always make sure you’re using the most pure essential oils… After all, anything that goes on your body, should be good enough to go in your body. This is why I choose to use and share Young Living essential oils, over any other oil company – they are the most pure essential oils in the world! Read more about their Seed to Seal quality here.
Free Essential Oils Cheat Sheet
Just learning how to use essential oils? Subscribe to download a free copy of my Natural Remedies Guide Cheat Sheet!
Plus, you will get weekly tips on how to use essential oils, delivered right to your inbox!